Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail wishes to advise customers that we are increasing capacity and providing additional train services where possible to bring customers to and from the Pope’s mass at Phoenix Park on Sunday 26th August in a safe and efficient manner. The papal mass will be at the site of the Papal Cross in the heart of the Phoenix Park and is set to begin at 15:00hrs.
The closest train stations to Phoenix Park
- Dublin Heuston Station – 700metres from Park Gate Street entrance to the Park. From there it is a 2.5km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 1.7km from the Islandbridge Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
- Ashtown Station – 650metres from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross(view directions on google maps).
- Navan Road Parkway Station – 1.3km from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 2.2km from the Castleknock Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park and a 2.2km walk from there to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
Due to the increased volume of passengers expected to travel for this event, train services will be extremely busy, both before and after the papal mass. Due to this, Iarnród Éireann will have special arrangements in place:
- Intercity Services advance purchasing online or by phone is mandatory for August 26th
- Intercity Services tickets will not be available at station on the day or in advance.
- Seating will not be assigned on Intercity Services before and after the Pope’s mass. An unallocated seating policy will be in operation. This means you will not be assigned a seat on your ticket. Customers are advised to make use of any available seats on the service
- Only Low Flex fares will be available. Customers must travel on the service they have booked on to ensure travel. The ability to change trains, cancel or seek refund will not be permitted
- Those in possession of a Free Travel Pass, Open Tickets, Seasonal and Taxsaver ticket(s) or any other open tickets must book a Seat Only Reservation online in order to ensure passenger allocation to services operating before and after the Pope’s mass at Phoenix Park
- The price of Seat Only Reservation will be free as we will not be offering assigned seating on the following services;
- 07.10hrs, 08:05hrs and 11:00hrs Galway to Dublin Heuston
- 16:35hrs, 18:45hrs, 19.15hrs and 20:30hrs Dublin Heuston to Galway
- 06.55hrs, 09:00hrs and 11:00hrs Sligo to Dublin Connolly
- 16:00hrs, 17:05hrs, 18.30hrs and 19:05hrs Dublin Connolly to Sligo
Travelling to Knock
Train transport to Knock on 26th August will be extremely limited. Those wishing to travel must book a ticket in advance at www.irishrail.ie this includes Department of Social Protection pass holders and annual ticket holders. If you do not have an advance booking you will not be permitted to travel.
Limited services will operate from Westport, Ballina & Athlone with a bus connection at Claremorris for Knock. Full details of these services will be available soon on www.irishrail.ie
For more information on this visit, especially the events open to the public, please see Pope in Ireland.