The tender for the supply and installation of three kayak launch systems and a floating swim dock facility around Boyle has been published on etenders by Roscommon County Council.
Also included in the tender is upgrade work to the access road and parking area adjacent to the canal, east of the Woodenbridge from where it is understood one of the launch systems will be located.
The full detailed description on etenders is as follows:
- Upgrade works to Access road entrance – Boyle Canal.
- Resurface Access road & Parking Area – Boyle Canal.
- Installation of new Wheel Chair Accessible Parks Bays and access path – Lough Key Forest Park.
- Installation of floating Wheel Chair Accessible Kayak Launch Facility – Boyle River.
- Installation of floating Wheel Chair Accessible Kayak Launch Facility – Lough Key Forest Park.
- Installation of floating Wheel Chair Accessible Kayak Launch Facility – Doon Shore.
- Installation of floating Swim dock facility – Doon Shore.
The deadline for receipt of tenders is April 28th and it is hoped to have work completed this summer on the projects.
In November 2022, €199,800 was allocated by Minister for Rural and Community Development Heather Humphreys for the canoe/kayak ‘Easy Launch Systems’ for Lough Key, Doon Shore and Boyle Canal/River along with the trail upgrades.
The application for the grant was put forward by Roscommon Co Co with support from Boyle Town Team in May 2022.
(Image shows one of the proposed launch facilities which may change in structure depending on tenders received)