Published on July 31st, 2018 | by BoyleToday.com0
Monasteraden PO set to close
An Post has announced that Monasteraden Post Office is set to close from August 8th 2018.
Services at this Post Office will cease following the retirement of the Postmistress.
In a statement to Boyletoday.com, An Post say they wish to thank the Postmistress Ms. Mary Foley for her service.
The statement continued: Having assessed the provision of Post Office Services for Monasteraden in the context of the Protocol for Post Office Services (April 2018), An Post is making the following arrangements to meet customers’ needs:
- From 09 August 2018 all Social Welfare Services currently available from Monasteraden Post Office will be transferred to Ballaghaderreen Post Office (7km from Monasteraden).
- Full services will continue to be available at neighboring Post Offices including Gurteen, Frenchpark and Fairymount and Doocastle.
- Mail collection and delivery will continue as normal.
In reaching a decision on the future provision of Post Office Services for Monasteraden, An Post took account of the following criteria outlined in the Protocol:
- Provision of the following minimum service levels
- In rural Ireland An Post will endeavour to ensure that all settlements with over 500 people will have a Post Office.
- In rural areas 95% of the population will be within 15km of at least one Post Office
- The proximity of other Post Offices – Ballaghadereen, Gurteen, Frenchpark, Fairymount and Doocastle.
- The presence of a customer base and transaction levels to support a Post Office
- The capacity of other retailers locally to provide Post Office Services in a mainstream retail format
The decision on future Post Office Services for Monasteraden including the consolidation of Monasteraden Post Office with surrounding Post Offices in Ballaghaderreen, Gurteen, Frenchpark, Fairymount and Doocastle reflects An Post’s commitment to build a sustainable and viable Post Office Network for this area.
An independent review process exists to assess if the criteria outlined in the Protocol for the Provision of Post Office Services has been applied by An Post. For further details contact; Review@anpost.ie or Independent Reviewer, An Post, GPO, Dublin 1.
Meanwhile Sligo Leitrim TD Marc McSharry has said “In County Sligo alone Monasteraden Post Office in South Sligo is set to close and Ballinfull in North Sligo is set to suffer the same fate. Many more are under threat in Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon and other rural counties. Communities will not stand for such discriminatory action. I am calling on Government to immediately act to prevent these closures. Savings required in An Post must be found in other ways.“