Boyle Citizens Information – ‘Know Your Rights’

Question: what are my rights if I have bought a faulty item?

If you have bought something that turns out to be faulty, then the seller must repair it free of charge or give you a refund or replacement. 

What if the fault is minor, such as a scratch?

If the fault does not affect how the item works you may not be entitled to a refund. 

What if the faulty item is a gift?

If you received a gift that turns out to be faulty, you will need proof of purchase to get a refund or replacement. Proof of purchase can be a receipt, invoice or credit or debit card statement. 

What if the item was bought on sale?

If you buy something on sale that is faulty, you have the same rights as if the item was bought at full price. This is the case unless the item was reduced because of a fault and you were told about this before you bought it. 


PAYE Taxes 


I’m a PAYE worker. What income tax will I pay in 2022?


Your income is taxed at 20% up to a certain amount. This is known as the standard rate of tax and the amount of income that it applies to is the standard rate tax band

If you have income above the standard rate tax band, it is taxed at the higher rate of tax, which is 40%.

There were no changes to tax rates in 2022, but the standard rate tax bands were raised by €1,500. 

Personal circumstances  Tax rates and bands in 2022, €
Single person 36,800 @ 20%

Balance @40%

Married couple/civil partners, one income 45,800@ 20%

Balance @ 40%

Married couple/civil partners, two incomes Up to 73,600@ 20%

Balance @ 40%

One-parent family 40,800 @ 20%

Balance @ 40%

You may be able to get other income tax reliefs, tax credits or exemptions depending on your personal circumstances. These can reduce the amount of tax that you have to pay. 

Read more on or call us on 0818 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm). 

Know Your Rights has been compiled by South Connacht Citizens Information Service CLG, which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: 0818 07 6330 Address: Boyle CIC, Elphin Street, Boyle, Co. Roscommon. Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0818 07 4000.

Related Articles

Back to top button