Gardai are advising the public to be vigilant following reports of alleged bogus callers in the area in recent days.
There have been a number of reports locally in the past week of two men going door to door offering to undertake work in and around people’s houses.
There are also reports of a man in a white van calling to houses in the area offering to do painting and odd jobs etc.
While some door to door workmen may be legitimate, An Garda Siochana offer the following advice if you are suspicious of workmen calling door to door:
If a person calls to your door offering you professional trade services observe the following:
- Tell the caller that you never employ trades people ‘cold calling’ to your door. Ask for a sales brochure or other documentation that you can subsequently investigate and verify as credible. This should have a contact telephone number, known address and a V.A.T. registered number.
- Be particularly careful where sales documentation only displays mobile contact numbers or in-complete addresses. Telephone directory enquiries can assist in establishing the credibility and bona fides of the company or individual concerned.
- If you are satisfied that the company or individual is credible and you still think their employment is necessary, ask for an itemised written quotation for the services being offered and the names of persons and locations where they have previously worked successfully.
- Never solely rely on the accuracy of the information being proffered. Verify the information your-self.
- Always seek comparable estimates for any services offered from other established reputable companies.
- Never engage a person who insists on cash payment for services offered. Even when employing a reputable company always use a method of payment that is traceable.
- Never leave strangers, even bona fide workers, unsupervised in your home.