Boyle’s Lough Key Forest Park has been listed in Coillte’s “Top 5 forests for thrill seekers this summer.”
Along with Lough Key, Ballinastoe in Wicklow is named as is Farran in Cork: Glenbarrow, Laois, and Tibradden, Dublin.
Coillte’s Lough Key Forest Park, County Roscommon (250 hectares, c300 car parking spaces)
- Coillte’s Lough Key Forest Park allows water lovers row on the lake to explore the many islands of Lough Key.
- Whether you’re a keen kayaker or just a casual canoeist, boating across Lough Key can be the perfect adventure for family and friends.
- There is a good forest camp site for camper vans and caravans.
- If boating is not your thing why not try the other activities including ziplining, a treetop walk or hire an electric bike to explore the forest cycling trails?
- Afterwards enjoy some hot food from the outdoor food truck, visit the coffee cart and confectionery kiosk or bring your own feast for the picnic tables.
- Plan ahead and know which forest you want to visit, what you want to do and prepare for a potentially fabulous day out.
- Consider purchasing the Coillte Access Card if you think you/your family/friends would be frequent forest visitors throughout the year. [email protected]
Coillte operates a Leave no Trace policy and asks all our visitors to bring their litter home and leave the forests as you found them for everyone to enjoy.
In addition, to prevent forest fires and the destruction of trees and wildlife, forest visitors should not use barbeques or open fires at any stage.
You can find more details and maps of these 5 forests and all of Coillte’s recreational areas on our website: http://www.coillte.ie/