KIlronan Castle, located between Keadue and Ballyfarnon in County Roscommon was among the winners in Georgina Campbell’s annual food and hospitality awards.
The 2022 awards were announced before the end of last year and saw Kilronan Castle win the four star category.
“Celebrating 24 years in their current incarnation, the Georgina Campbell Awards recognise and honour Ireland’s standard-bearers in food and hospitality in Ireland with particular focus, this year, on those who have maintained standards across the board in the face of post-pandemic energy and staffing crises, among many other challenges – and the brave newcomers who, against the odds, continue to delight with inspiring new businesses”.
In announcing the award, the organisers said: “At the heart of a 40-acre estate overlooking Lough Meelagh, Kilronan Castle enjoys beautiful natural surroundings and a romantic old-world atmosphere. The original castle has been restored with style in the public areas and, while most rooms are new, accommodation is spacious and luxurious. Attractions that make it especially appealing for weddings and (good value) short breaks include a Leisure Club and Elemis Spa – but Kilronan Castle has always had a well deserved reputation for good food too, and the beautifully appointed and intimate Douglas Hyde Restaurant makes a fine special occasion dining destination for visitors and local residents alike. All of which adds up to plenty of good reasons to visit an area that deserves to be better known. But best of all is the staff, who are superb; nothing is ever a problem, which makes a stay here just so refreshing – a happy introduction to this fascinating and unspoilt part of the country for many new visitors”.
The winners included:
- 5-star Hotel: Cashel Palace, Co Tipperary
- 4-Star Hotel: Kilronan Castle, Co Roscommon
- 3-Star Hotel: Blue Haven, Kinsale, Co Cork
- Restaurant: Lignum, Co Galway
- Chef: Garret Byrne, Campagne, Kilkenny
- Pub: Cronin’s, Crosshaven, Co Cork
- Hospitality Hero: Richard Corrigan
- Innovation Award: Kelly’s Hotel, Co Wexford
- Business Hotel: Nox, Galway
- Wine & Drinks: Union Wine Bar & Kitchen, Waterford
- Memorable Experience: The Merrion Hotel, Dublin
- Pet-friendly destination: Carberry Cottage Guest Lodge, Durrus, Co Cork
- Family-friendly Hotel: Doonmore Hotel, Inishbofin, Co Galway
- Newcomer: Alumni, Rathangan, Co Kildare
- Global Cuisines: Leaves, Blackrock, Co Dublin
Separately, Kilronan Castle has reached the finals of the ‘Best Castle Wedding Venue’ and the ‘Best Historic Wedding Venue’ in the SaveMyDay.ie Irish Wedding Awards.
The winners will be selected by a panel of judges and announced in February.