Submissions sought for new Boyle Artwork Sculpture Trail
Roscommon County Council invites submissions from artists for one sculptural artwork as part of a Sculpture Trail. This Programme of Public Art Commissions is funded under Fáilte Ireland’s Developed and Emerging Destination Towns Capital Investment Programme.
The scheme will provide a platform for artists to respond creatively to public space, to the history, story and community of Boyle, in particular the Cultural Quarter of Boyle, the location of King House and the Pleasure Grounds. The commissions are also intended to provide opportunities for dialogue and participation with the local community. Representatives of various groups in the town will be involved in selecting the artworks.
Artists will be required to provide a detailed project proposal to include proposed site location, concept visuals, methodology, technical information, time frame and budget breakdown.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
4pm, Tuesday 31st May 2022
LOCATION: BOYLE PLEASURE GROUNDS, KING HOUSE LANE & RIVER WALK
(From the gates of King House along the lane, across the pedestrian bridge and in the Pleasure Grounds)
The value of each commission is between €7,500 to €10,000. Up to six sculptures will be commissioned with a total budget of €47,500. One commission per artist.
This amount is fully inclusive of all costs including fees to the artist, any necessary research,
production/realisation, installations, groundworks, insurance, documentation, maintenance file and VAT.
Artists with experience of creating external sculptures are invited to submit proposals for works which are:
* Professional and contemporary works in sculpture.
* Made in a manner and from materials suitable for permanent exhibition outdoors.
* Works will require low maintenance.
Each sculpture should respond to one of six locations and themes as follows:
* Culture – to be located at the newly developed tiered area in the Pleasure Grounds, along the river, so as to respond to the Steinway Grand Piano in the Main Salon in King House – the window of which overlooks the Pleasure Grounds;
* The Children’s Playground located in the Pleasure Grounds;
* The Sports Pitch located in the Pleasure Grounds;
* Boyle River – to be located close to the Pedestrian Bridge.
* Boyle History & Heritage – at 2 locations – one along King House Lane, one in the Pleasure Grounds.
Artists should provide the following information as part of their submission for one sculpture:
CV: please submit an up-to-date curriculum vitae and contact information.
Documentation of work: please submit up to 5 examples of relevant, previous work, including written descriptions, photographs, and where relevant links to videos.
Applications will be assessed using the following criteria which should be used as headings in your submission:
* Previous experience of managing/working on outdoor sculptural projects (20/100);
* Quality of concept, artistic merit and relevance to one of the theme outlined and the history and cultural context of Boyle. Include proposed location of artwork together with visuals of potential outcomes for the artwork in situ – digital images or scaled drawings. (30/100);
* Budget detail – value for money with due consideration to methodology, installation details, long term value and impact (30/100);
* Timescale for realisation and projected completion date, inclusive of any research period and proposed approach to consultation and collaboration with key stakeholders including the commissioner and the local community. The installation must be completed by November 2022. (20/100).
An artist panel may also be formed for other public art commissions by Roscommon County Council during 2022-2023.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ARTIST FOR EACH COMMISSION
All artists must comply with the necessary Health and Safety Legislation in the design, manufacture, supply, delivery and installation of the work paying particular attention to the challenges created by a public outdoor setting. It is the responsibility of the artist to deliver the work on time and on budget.
One artist will be commissioned who may sub contract other creatives. The installation must be completed by November 2022.
BUDGET €7,500 to €10,00
Budgets are fully inclusive of all costs including fees to the artist, any necessary research, production/realisation, installations, groundworks, insurance, documentation, maintenance file and VAT.
Artists will be required to have Public Liability insurance cover for work they have to undertake on site and Employers Liability insurance cover for any person that they undertake to bring on site as part of the design or implementation phase of the project.
The successful artist must provide the Council with a tax clearance certificate.
DETAILS FOR SUBMISSION
Submissions must be emailed to [email protected]
Deadline: 4pm, Tuesday 31st May 2022
Queries can be emailed to the same address.