A new mural and sculpture trail will be created in Boyle as part of the Destination Towns project that is currently being progressed in the town.
The Sculpture Trail will be located in the Pleasure Grounds – where upgrade works continue, while the location of the Mural trail has yet to be agreed. Once agreement is reached, an open call to Artists for submissions will be issued in association with Roscommon County Council Arts Office.
The Destination Towns project saw initial funding of €470,000 being awarded to Roscommon County Council in conjunction with Boyle Town Team for the development, with additional funding coming from the Council.
The project consists of 5 elements:
- Boyle Pleasure grounds – This is the largest element of the project and landscaping works within the Pleasure Grounds have been ongoing since 2021.
- Boyle River – Works to upgrade the lighting along the River have been carried out with additional works required this year. The cleaning, stripping back of vegetation and painting of derelict buildings and gates in a specialized bright colour scheme at the rear of Main Street and along the river lane from King House is also understood to form part of the project.
- King House Lane – the upgrade of the lane from King House to Boyle River will commence in 2022 along with repaving of the area in front of King House entrance with natural stone paviours.
- Information Signage Review/Upgrade will be carried out in 2022
- Mural and Sculpture Trail
It is understood the granite repaving will commence at the end of the cycleway at Boyle Garda Station and conclude at the ‘green bridge’.
This repaving will compliment to planned upgrade of the façade and exterior of Boyle Garda Station which is also planned to take place this year.