Published on May 11th, 2016 | by BoyleToday.com
Final parts added to historic generator
The final sections of the Blackstone Engine that helped generate electricity for the town of Boyle have now been put in place.
Work on the installation has been ongoing for a number of weeks and the generator and engine are now on permanent display at the corner of Mockmoyne and Chapel Street.
Understanding the historical significance of the engine to the town, Boyle Chamber of Commerce purchased the engine from the Stewart family and put in train plans for it to go on permanent display at Mockmoyne in Boyle.
Roscommon County Council provided the plinth and surrounding area free of charge while Boyle Chamber of Commerce also funded some landscaping work.
The engine was initally purchased in 1932 by John Stewart and helped generate electricity for Boyle until 1965 with DC power.
It is a 52hp single cyclinder diesel engine with a flywheel weighing 2.5 tonnes.
The three parts of the engine were resprayed by Lannon Crash Repairs, Forest View, Boyle