St. Nathy’s Cathedral in Ballaghaderreen will close to the public for a period of approximately six months from the end of September.
The planned work will take place on roof, heating, pointing on external stone work and lighting externally and internally.
During the €1m refurbishment, Mass will be held in St. Nathy’s College chapel.
The cathedral was built by Cardinal Patrick Durcan in the Gothic style from 1855 and was completed in 1860.
The project was commissioned to study English Weightman and Matthew Ellison Hadfield using as models the English and French medieval churches.