Vacant property grant now extended to rental properties

What is the Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant?

The Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant is a payment you can get if you are turning a vacant house or building into your permanent home or a rental property.

A grant of up to €50,000 is available.

If the refurbishment costs exceed the standard grant of up to €50,000, a top-up grant amount of up to €20,000 is available. See below.


How to qualify?

To qualify for the grant, you must:

Have proof of ownership or evidence of active negotiations to buy the property (that is, confirmation of engagement from the estate agent or owner of the property) where you are seeking approval in principle for a grant
Live in the property as your principal private residence or make it available for rent
Have proof that the property has been vacant for at least 2 years and that it was built up to and including 2007
The grant applies to qualifying vacant properties in cities, towns, villages and rural parts of the country


Rates of Payment

Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

A grant of up to €50,000 is available. This is subject to upper limits for different types of work, having regard to a reasonable cost assessment by the local authority. The grant is inclusive of the VAT cost of the works.

Derelict Property Top-up Grant

If the refurbishment costs exceed the standard grant of up to €50,000, a top-up grant amount of up to €20,000 is available. To get this top-up grant, you must confirm that the property is derelict. This means that the property is structurally unsound and dangerous. The total grant available for a derelict property is therefore €70,000.

You must submit an independent report prepared by a qualified professional, along with the application confirming that the property is derelict.


Types of work covered

The following categories of works will be eligible for grant assistance, subject to a reasonable cost assessment by the local authority and to any limits for specific works as may be set out in guidance from the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage:

Demolitions / Strip-out / Site Clearance (including removal of hazardous materials)
Substructure works (including works to foundations; rising walls; beds / slabs; damp-proofing; underpinning)
Superstructure works (including works to internal / external walls; chimneys; upper floors; stairs; roof structure; other structural timbers)
Completions (including works associated with external doors and windows; internal doors and associated frames, architraves and ironmongery; balustrades; skirtings; rooflights; fascias / soffits; rainwater goods)
Finishes (including finishes to external / internal walls; ceiling finishes; tiling / waterproof finishes to wet areas; roof finishes)
Services (including plumbing; heating; ventilation; power; lighting; telecommunications; smoke / CO2 detection)
Fittings (including kitchen units; sanitary / bathroom fittings)
External Works (necessary external / site works carried out within the curtilage of the site)
Extension within the ambit of exempt development under planning regulations, as part of a wider refurbishment.
Professional services associated with works (fees / surveys)

Further Information and Application

Further information is contained in the scheme outline, associated FAQs and application form which can be downloaded from related documents below or visit here. For further information please contact [email protected]

Other evidence and documentation you need to provide

A quotation(s) in respect of the works proposed
Proof that the property is vacant
Proof that the property was built up to and including 2007
An independent report confirming the property is structurally unsound and dangerous (if seeking top up grant for works to a derelict property) or confirmation that it is on the Derelict Sites Register, where applicable
Evidence of planning permission or a certificate of exemption under the Planning Acts
Confirmation of Local Property Tax payment

Please submit your application form and supporting information to [email protected] or by post to:

Vacant Homes Office
Housing Department
Aras an Chontae
Co. Roscommon F42 VR98

(Image shows Main Street in Boyle and is for illustration purpose only)

Related Articles

Back to top button